Saturday, October 1

The Silver Lining of Last Night's Loss

Well, I will be honest, there really is no silver lining. The Red Sox rolled to a victory. The Indians showed some life in tying the game, but then failed to capitalize and win. So, again the Tribe is backed up against the wall, blah blah blah, etc etc etc...

The story for today is that I am in Alabama. The Yankees and Sox were on ESPN and I couldn't find a bar that was showing the Tribe game. The previous night when the Tribe beat the Devil Rays, I stopped into a sports bar here in Huntsville Alabama called THIRD BASE.

(Pause for effect)

IT WAS CALLED THIRD BASE, BUT THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE BASEBALL PACKAGE!

How in the hell is that even possible? Let it be said today by Craig, forever to be so. If you have a bar, restaurant, store or any other place, your name better match your offerings. Do not call yourself ChiChi's if you don't have Mexican food. Don't name yourself the Auto Parts store if you sell fine pastries. AND DON'T NAME YOUR BAR THIRD BASE IF YOU HAVE NO BASEBALL!

So last night when the Tribe was taking on the White Sox, I grabbed a six inch subway sandwich, a six pack of beer, turned on ESPN to watch the Red Sox and Yanks, and paid the $20 to watch the tribe on my laptop over the internet.

Quite surprisingly, the game was quite watchable in full-screen mode. It was a little bit grainy, but overall, I could make out everything, including the words on the screen, the ball after it was hit and the umpire as he called balls and strikes.

While the Indians didn't give me much hope last night, at least the state of technology is leaving me with a warm fuzzy feeling. I was sitting in Huntsville Alabama where they don't really even follow pro baseball because it isn't college football, and over a wireless network, I was able to watch near-television-quality baseball on my laptop.

3 Comments:

At 10/01/2005 4:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, now imagine being in the south ALL THE TIME. I'd imagine that Huntsville is similar to Knoxville -- no pro teams, no MLB in the state, so it's primarily a sports town. NFL is covered well, because the networks do a better job of televising it. If you live in a city without an NFL team, you still are able to watch NFL games on sunday. You can't say the same about MLB. It's been driving me nuts the past few weeks, because any time that there is a game televised, you can be damn sure that the braves are involved. Between the Turner networks and Fox Sports South, that's what I have to watch if I want to watch baseball. The worst is when espn decides to cover a braves game, and it's actually shown on three stations at once!! ugh... and don't get me going on sports talk. I get five hours of national sports programing each day -- 10-12 fox sports morning extravaganzam and 12-3 Jim Rome. The other 19 hours a day seeems to be occupied by the same three guys sitting around a mic with their thick southern accents talking about how the hurricanes will affect the Vols. Only the football vols, btw. You would think in a city where the winningest basketball coach of all time might get some media exposure, but the only way Pat Summit gets a mention is when guys call complaining that the Lady Vols are taking scholarships away from the football team. I swear to god, that really happened.

PS: I'll apologize to Leaphart for Craig's Alabama rant. Just trying to keep the peace, man.

 
At 10/01/2005 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am far from anti-Alabama. I had a good time down there. Hell, even the Third Base staff was really really nice. Amy, the Bartender, introduced herself to me and remembered my name when I left. I haven't been around people who were so genuine and nice in a long time. So, despite my programming complaints, I am not dissing Huntsville.

 
At 10/01/2005 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you that southerners are the nicest people ever. They are all super friendly. One of the problems I've had down here is adjusting to the "nice" culture. You just never know where you really stand with people down here, because they are always so freaking nice and polite.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home