Friday, October 14

Michael Jordan or Grant Hill?



My barber is a sports genius. Just ask him. He will tell you anything you want to know about Cleveland sports. What is working well? What needs to change? What coaching decisions should have been made? But seriously, my barber knows a ton, and he talks about it all day and night. It is a great place to talk sports and get my hair cut.

Something he said this week, though, caught my attention and got me thinking BS.

We were talking about Cleveland sports, and I made a back-handed comment about how Lebron James will probably break his leg soon, ending all hopes of a playoff team in Cleveland in the near future.

Tommy started to tell me how it was an impossibility.

"Guys like Lebron don't break their legs. They are too good of athletes to get hurt too seriously. Lebron is one of those guys. It won't happen. You watch."

Tommy might be right, but considering the timing and the fact that Lebron has spent some time in the hospital over the last few days with mystery pains in his chest region, I am going to say that nobody is impervious. It doesn't matter if it is Michael Jordan.

Jordan wasn't impervious to injury. He just happens to not have been injured that much in his career. He was lucky enough to become "Michael Jordan the player who doesn't get injured and does nothing but win championships with the Chicago Bulls."

He very easily could have gone the other way and just been "Michael Jordan, that guy who could have been so great if he didn't happen to injure himself every time he stepped on the court."

And if you don't believe me, you can ask Seattle Mariners fans about "Ken Griffey Jr. who will become the greatest player in the history of the game over the next decade" vs. "Ken Griffey Jr. who can't seem to shake the injury bug and has been traded to the Cincinnati Reds for a bag of balls and a shiny silver dollar."

Trust, me I am hoping that we get all the Lebron that Lebron can be, but it is always possible that your "lock" for superstar of the millennium can just as easily become the would-a could-a should-a footnote with tons of career stats sheets with partial seasons like Grant Hill.

So, while I would love to believe the my barber's theory, and he is generally a smart, observant fan, I am going to have to call Bravo Sierra...

And maybe start praying...

1 Comments:

At 10/17/2005 10:43 AM, Blogger Kiddicus Maximus said...

LeBron is tough. He isn't Superman. Or even Batman for that matter, he's pretty much mortal. Athleticism notwithstanding, he is able to be injured. He seems to have good stamina (44 min avg.), but how long will it last? The kid is younger than me, and when I hit 22 it was all over.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home